The Town of Fort Macleod is looking to fill this role with an individual who under the supervision of the Public Works Foreman, supports our commitment to the citizens of the Town of Fort Macleod by providing support, service and assistance in the maintenance and efficient operation of the Town’s Public Works systems, facilities and infrastructures.
A detailed job description is available upon request via the How to Apply contact.
Education & Experience (Preferred or Required)
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, trade training and/or some post-secondary in a related field preferred.
- 3+ years of directly related experience in a public works or equipment operator role.
- Working within a unionized workforce is preferred.
- Knowledge of Provincial legislation and regulation including the Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act and Occupational Health & Safety Act would be considered an asset.
- Experience supervising and training employees is considered an asset.
- The following certifications, or their equivalent would be considered an asset:
- Level I or II Water Distribution
- Level I or II Wastewater Collection
- H2S Training, Standard first aid, Confined Space Entry and Rescue.
- Valid Class 3 required, Class 1 with Air brake endorsement (Q) would be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Skills and Abilities
- Under supervision, inspect, operate and monitor the performance of equipment, including but not limited to hydro vac truck, bobcat, loader, backhoe, gravel trucks, grader, concrete saw, sewer camera and tamper/jumping jack.
- Maintain streets, sidewalks and associated signage throughout the municipality.
- Maintain sewer and water systems including repair to water and sewer main lines, hydrants, sewer inspection and flushing. Storm sewer inspection, maintenance and services to properties.
- Support efficient cemetery operations; mark, dig and fill graves.
- Assist with the maintenance of the municipal compost site, provide airport maintenance as required.
- Landscaping and mowing of ditches/berms and assistance with weed control.
- Unwavering commitment to health and safety with an ability to promote and perform safe working practices.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), active listening and problem-solving abilities.
- Customer service aptitude, ability to deal with difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Self-motivated and independent, comfortable working with minimal direction and as part of a team.
- Strong sense of work and personal ethics; commitment to confidentiality.
Bona fide Physical/Cognitive Components
- Physical ability to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 23 kg/51 lbs.
- Push and pull equipment and parts weighing up to 100 kg independently or assisted.
- Walk, stand, sit, lift from floor to waist, lift from waist to shoulder, climb stairs, and ladders.
- Manual dexterity to operate and calibrate field equipment, tools, and computer peripherals.
- Ability to safety work around and with moving equipment.
- Ability to safely work with chemicals.
Work for this position is performed both indoors and outdoors, with exposure to inclement weather, hot/cold temperatures, confined spaces, heights, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and associated risks involved with field specimen and sample collection. Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required. The Town reserves the right to schedule shifts as needed to perform the business of the Town, which may include participating in an on-call rotation.
Environment and Compensation
This position is covered under a collective agreement with CUPE Local 70 and currently offers $30.76 per hour.
In addition to competitive wages, the Town participates in an extensive health and benefits package including the Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Friday, April 16, 2021, 2021, however the posting will stay open until a suitable candidate is found.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume and cover letter to:
Town of Fort Macleod
Attn: Liisa Gillingham
Fort Macleod AB T0L0Z0
Email: [email protected]
About the Town of Fort Macleod
Founded in 1874, the Town of Fort Macleod played a pivotal role in western Canadian history. This vibrant community of over 3,000 people lies within sight of the breath-taking Rocky Mountains. We are 150 kilometres south of Calgary, 100 km east of the British Columbia border and 80 km north of the US border, and we act as a commercial centre for transportation and industry in southwest Alberta. For visitors, the town is a hub of western and First Nations’ culture in a world renowned, unique natural landscape. For more information on the Town, please visit: www.fortmacleod.com.