These businesses call Fort Macleod home.
Address: Box 485, Fort Macleod, AB, TOL OZO; 270 Lyndon Road
Hours: Sunday to Saturday
Contact: Shawn O’Sullivan
Mission: Golf was first played in Fort Macleod in 1890 – this was the first course to be built between Winnipeg and the West Coast. The area 250 yards from # 1 tee box was used until about 1924 by the North West Mounted Police as a pistol and rifle range; shells can still be found on the hill side. The trail coming down the coulee by the # 1 tee box and which is still visible from the # 9 fairway, is part of the old wagon trail to Calgary, and was used by settlers in the Porcupine Hills west of Fort Macleod. On the # 2 fairway, about 100 yards from the tee box, buffalo wallows are still visible. Cattle and buffalo bones are still found near the # 3 green, the cattle bones are from a herd that perished there during a snow blizzard in 1898, after being driven up from Montana for pasturing. Arrow heads can also be found along the Coulee toward Highway #2. In 1910 Dr. George Kennedy was President of the Club and membership cost $5.00 for men and $2.00 for ladies. In 1919 a member of the Club, Thomas Gillespie won the Alberta Open Golf Championship and went on to win a Gold metal at the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in Scotland. In 1924, H.R.M the Prince of Wales golfed this course. The present day society was formed in 1936.
Activities: Public Golf Course, men’s league, ladies league, mixed league, tournaments.